Skip to main content

EXCLUSIVE: Gujarati dancer Indiana Mehta to make her Hollywood debut with Sabrina Carpenter starrer Work It 

Taking off her shoes in front of a prestigious panel, Hollywood director Laura Terusso & choreographer Aakomon & performing Garba & Bhangra to a Chris Brown song & a standing ovation later is exactly how this Gujarati girl from a middle-class family in Mumbai bagged a role in a Warner Brothers and Alicia Keys produced dance film Work It, starring Sabrina Carpenter, Lisa Koshy, and Jordan Fisher, slated to release worldwide on Netflix this August.

EXCLUSIVE: Gujarati dancer Indiana Mehta to make her Hollywood debut with Sabrina Carpenter starrer Work It 

After having assisted choreographers for reality dance shows back in India, Indiana flew to Toronto, Canada looking for a promising career in dancing after having graduated from World's No. 1 Musical theatre school 'Laine Theatre Arts' with alumni like Victoria Beckham & after a long hustle & some odd jobs landed her first Hollywood debut Work It.

Ecstatic about her first deserving break, Indiana shares her journey, "I'd sent in a dance video & managed to get shortlisted for a real audition. I was nervous. I was used to rejections so I went in anyway. I went full out during my performance & hoped for the best. Towards the end of the audition, Aakomon asked if anyone wanted to showcase any different style of dancing. I was sure to not be able to match the level of flips, locking, popping & didn't want to embarrass myself. But later I took my shoes off, jumped right in at the very last moment & impressed the judges with Garba, Bhangra & some Jazz-funk. I got a standing ovation & I later was called in to read for a role. I cleared all rounds, I got the news last May. It was 2 am in India, I woke my parents up & we couldn't stop crying.'

Indiana shares, "My parents let me spread out my wings & let me choose dance as a career & supported me throughout. The journey to the way up there was full of roadblocks but dreaming & consistently working towards your goal does pay off. So start where you are, use what you have & do what you can.."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Cryptocurrency Tax in India: A Comprehensive Guide for Investors

  **Introduction:** Cryptocurrency has emerged as a disruptive force in the global financial landscape, offering new avenues for investment and financial innovation. In India, as elsewhere, the popularity of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and others has surged in recent years. However, with this rise comes the need for clarity on the taxation of cryptocurrency transactions. In this article, we delve into the nuances of cryptocurrency tax in India, offering insights and guidance for investors navigating this evolving regulatory landscape. **Understanding Cryptocurrency Taxation:** Cryptocurrency taxation in India is governed by the Income Tax Act, 1961, which treats cryptocurrencies as assets for tax purposes. As such, profits arising from cryptocurrency transactions are subject to taxation under the head of 'Income from Capital Gains.' This means that gains from the sale or transfer of cryptocurrencies are liable to be taxed based on the holding period and the nature ...

Why BJP is Poised to Win the Lok Sabha Elections: A Comprehensive Analysis

Introduction: In the vibrant landscape of Indian politics, the Lok Sabha elections serve as a litmus test of public sentiment and political prowess. As the nation gears up for another electoral showdown, all eyes are on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which has emerged as a formidable force in recent years. In this article, we delve into the key factors that indicate why the BJP is positioned to secure victory in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. 1. Strong Leadership: At the helm of the BJP stands Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a charismatic leader renowned for his dynamic governance and visionary leadership. Modi's astute decision-making, coupled with his ability to connect with the masses, has cemented his position as a towering figure in Indian politics. His unwavering commitment to development and national security resonates deeply with voters across the country, bolstering the BJP's electoral prospects. 2. Proactive Governance: The BJP-led government has implemented a sle...